Tuesday, July 27, 2010

270710 A Rainy Day

Nauman Adil


Huh! What a rainy day. The rain starts on the eve of 26th july 2010 and have a break in the noon of 27th July. In the eve of 26th I was returning from my university when the rain starts. It started up with drizzling but it was soon followed by the heavy rainfall in jus 10 minutes. What to do? What not to do?How to do that what we wanted to do? These were the several questions coming up in our mind as we were in a car and the wipers attached in the car were not in a working condition. We switched off the chiller of the car and decided to open up the windows.

We reached in the area of 13-d by this time. As soon as I opened up the window the heavy rainfall didn’t took a second to make us wet. The street children were diving in the water and try to swim in that water. They look so happy and cheerful and enjoying the heavy rain in the city after the long time. These were the moments of which they waited for the year long.




As we move further I witness around 70 bikes standing by the foothpath along with the bike riders ,who were waiting for the rain to stop so they can move forward towards their home. Those bike riders were standing keeping their one hand their bikes and other hand on their waist. They were also engage themselves in packing up their wallets and cell phones into the plastic paper bags so there valubales won’t get affected.

Moving towards the area of Block-2 Gulshan-e-Iqbal there was a crowd of people standing outside the bakery waiting to purchase some Pakoras , Samosas, Jalebi for themselves and their family. People use to buy these things more in rainy season . So at around 7 ‘o clock crowd was buying the tea items.

Oh! What is this? Asked by my driver, Sarwar. What sarwar? I replied. It seems like Isha prayer time now at 7:10.Even then the people waiting for Maghrib Prayers. The sky has been taken over by the dark black clouds. A dark black clouds and a heavy rainfall create a lot of difficulty for the driver to drive a car that is without the wipers. I use to cheer up the driver by putting the cassette in the player so then he will be in better mood for the rest of the drive.



I forget to mention my dressing at that time. I was in a dress shirt with a Suit pant and having a tie on my shirt. As I had been from a formal session from my university. So my dressing was much inappropriate at that time according to the situation. And I was jealous by the children playing in the water in half clothes. But , I can’t do anything rather than just to observe them and then pen down those observations.

After crossing the pull of Gulshan chowrangi , we moved straight towards the disco bakery Gulshan as I live there. An unbelievable crowd had been witnessed by me at this area . The people were sitting in their vehicles waiting for their food orders to be delivered there from the local food outlets of Rolls, GolGappay, Shakes, Faluda etc.

After such a long trip of 1 hour and 30 min I stepped into my home having wet clothes and dirty boots and having a coat in my hand. It was a tiring but one of the adventurous trip and I thanked to GOD that I didn’t stuck in any traffic jams otherwise I am sure that my this trip would easily be then of 5 to 6 hours.

Usually the karachittes celebrates the rainy day by exercising such kind of activites . And I am sure that in other part of Karachi people were having same kind of routine on 26th and 27th. What a day!

Happy Rainy day

Nauman Adil
naumanadil@gmail.com
Iqra University ‘09

2 comments:

  1. nice story dear but u went your university for which class :D
    same these things happen with me when i was coming back from my shop .
    but i enjoyed allot after all rain in karachi came after such long time
    regards :: your class mate vicky chouhan ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. while reading this article i was imagining myself having a trip from Iqra University to Gulshan...u have potrayed the scene in very realistic manner!keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete